Saturday, December 15, 2012

What Lucy has been up to...


Lucy is up to so much these days!  Figured it was a good time to share a few of them.  

Lucy just recently learned all of her letters - not sure when this happened!  Just this week, I have found her picking up letters (she has ones that stick to her bath wall) and her flashcards and she will tell me all the letters.  She is really good at recognizing letters - and can tell me that L is for Lucy, M is for mommy, etc.  She likes me to help her spell her name in the bath as well as spell Lauren, so I guess she is still hoping for a sister Lauren.  She also knows all of her numbers, 1- 10.  She has little number blocks and can find the number I ask for.  She has also starting to master counting items in a picture.  It used to be that she would skip all around the page and even when I would let her know there were 10, she would find 12 in the picture.  She has started counting right to left, pointing to each item.  

She also recently started singing along to songs - .not just singing a word or two, but entire verses.  She can sing all of her school songs for me, sings nice and loud in music class or listens to my ipod in the car and sings along to her music.  One day I asked her about school and she said "Luke said stop doing that!"  I asked her what she was doing and she said "I was singing too loud." 

She has this crazy memory and will bring things up that happened in the past - and it always happened "yesterday" so yesterday is general for the past in her world.  She still brings up the skeletons from Halloween and that she didn't like walking on the rope at school.  The other day we were walking downstairs and I had a bunch of bags on my arm and one knocked Lucy over.  Every day she brings up how I kicked her down the stairs.  I have to remind her it was an accident and that I didn't kick her down the stairs because I am sure she will tell her teachers that.  She recalls every little event and person in her life - it amazes us.  

Her favorite book is anything Curious George - especially Curious George Goes to the  Hospital.  We read it so much that I have it memorized and she does too because sometimes she will say the next sentence before I turn the page :)  

One of her favorite things to do is ride her scooter these days.  - She got her scooter for her 2nd birthday and never wanted to wear her helmet so we didn't venture outside.  Once we got her to wear her helmet, she wants to go out every night on her scooter, take it to the park...everywhere  We took it to the zoo for Zoo Lights last Friday and Joe and Lucy go around the blocks when he gets home from work and look at all the holiday lights.  

She says the funniest things - like any 2-year-old.  
- She will tell Joe and me "Good Job!" whenever we do something (like tell her a story, or finish a puzzle with her, etc.).  
- She always suggests "how about we do this first, and that second," and will say "we made a terrible mess" if something spills or if she makes a mess.  I am not sure where that comes from, because I have never said that to her.  (She tells me it is from Super Why.)
- If I ask her a question, she will sometimes say "let me think about that."  

She is still very much in her independence stage, which I am sure will last for a long time.  She has to turn all the lights on, pick her own cereal box, pour her own milk, brush her teeth, get in the car seat herself, open the garage door, and on and on.  Another new stage that I hope ends quickly is that she has the need to bring the most random toys/dolls with her when we leave a room or the house.  She will NEED to bring her piggy bank in the car to go to school or carry a bag filled with the most random selection of toys up from her toy room for dinner, or will decide she needs a toy she hasn't seen in a year in her bed at night.  She still likes to pick out her own clothes, but getting dressed has gotten much easier and I can usually do her hair these days too - so mornings are typically free of battles!

She loves school (really is the highlight of her entire week) and all of her classes.  In addition to music class and gymnastics, she will be starting swimming in January.  We have a new indoor swim school near our house that has 90 degree air and water, and kids go in without parents, which is a plus being pregnant!  I am excited for her to start.  

Lucy has a great group of friends at school - it is a small class of about 16 kids and not only do the kids get along great, but all of us parents do too.  We had a potluck at her school last week (Lucy thought it was so cool to be at her school for dinner) and two birthday parties this weekend with her class.  She will have many of the same kids in her class next year which makes us happy.  We really love the small community of her school and how comfortable she feels.  Luckily, she missed the cut-off to move to an elementary school at age 3, so she will go at age 4 and we just started our tours of schools and it is completely overwhelming.  I might just have to home-school her.  


St. Nick visited our house - and Lucy took one look and kept walking.  
St. Nick should bring toys, not pjs!  

New her pjs!

And snowman towel

Scooter-ing around the zoo



And the park

And, with about 13 weeks to go, Baby "Lauren" as I guess we can call her according to Lucy, is doing great.  Although I know it will get harder in the next few months, I still really love being pregnant and will miss it.  I am so used to feeling her moving and waking up to a bigger stomach every morning.  She moves a ton and all of my doctor appts are as usual as can be, to the point that my doctor said I could come in less than they usually recommend for appointments. I guess that was until I look my glucose test last week, didn't exactly follow the fasting directions, failed the test and now need to see a nutritionist and go in for weekly tests :)  OH LORD.  


We are pretty much decided on a name, the baby's furniture is being delivered next week, and I feel very prepared for her arrival.  We still need to buy a few big things - like a double stroller - and need to paint her room, but I am waiting until after the holidays to do anything baby-related.  I am scheduled to deliver her on March 13th (on the waitlist) or March 11th, unless she decides to come earlier on her own.  So everyone can plan accordingly :)  

Have a great rest of the weekend!!!