Friday, September 7, 2012

Lucy's 1st day of school!

Thursday was Lucy's first day of preschool!  

To transition the kids to the room (they are all only 2!), we got to spend the hour with them, which I loved.  Today, we were encouraged to leave the kids for the class, and although I stayed in the room, Lucy wasn't able to see me much and it was really sweet watching her play, interact with the other kids, listen to her teachers, sing the songs and be so independent.  The class design is pretty much open play with educational "centers" and the kids decide where they will spend their time.  Towards the end there is clean-up time, circle time with songs and a book, and a snack.  Then the kids find their cubbies and sit there until their grown-up comes to get them :)  Probably a pretty standard day among 2-year-old preschools.  

Lucy and I took a mom/tot class at the school this summer so she had already gotten to know many of her "classmates" and two of her three teachers.  I was able to personally get to know her teachers and all the school offered, and am very happy with where she will be spending 2 hours every Thursday and Friday.  It has a great community feel to it with parent nights every month, various get-togethers during the year for families and a summer picnic.  I love the community feel of the school.  

Starting next Thursday, Lucy goes all alone to school and I am not sure I will know what to do with myself.  I know at the end of the 2 hours, I will be the happiest person in the world to have her back with me! 

I am so proud of Lucy - she is so social with other kids, listens well to her teachers and is such an independent explorer.  School becomes such an important part of kids' lives and I am happy her first experience of it will be fun and a place she feels so safe.  

Heading out the door

One last look at her teachers (she got this letter in the mail with their pictures, so it has been hanging up)

Lucy's cubbie where she will wait for me (although we have 15 minutes from the end of class, I can't imagine making her sit there for 15 minutes!)

One of Lucy's three teachers - Ms. Becca

With her proud mommy

We were surprised to see that one of her friends from her Saturday classes - Gabe - was also in class.  They could have cared less but us parents were happy they reunited. 

Listening during circle time

Coloring

Can't wait until tomorrow!!!!!