Friday, June 6, 2014

Good-Bye to the Nicholson School


Lucy had her last day of 3 yr preschool on Tuesday - and we are sad to say good-bye to her teachers and friends we have been with for the past 2 years.  I know every parent loves their child's preschool because it is really all we know, but I truly do feel she had one of the best preschool experiences here!  Lucy has grown SO much over the past year - and as she left school we were given a packet with special artwork, her name that she has been practicing all year, the journal she kept all year - including drawings of "Disney on Ice" and "My New House" and all the things she must be thinking of during journal time.  We also received a CD of pics taken of her throughout the year.  Since I don't keep everything she brings home (worst mom...but hey, I filled a bin to keep, she just brings home huge a pile every day, mostly just one crayon mark on a paper), it means so much to have these highlights from her 3 yr program.

These days, Lucy is starting to want/try to read books to us.  She has dozens of books she reads to us, completely from memorization.  She knows all her letters and for the most part, the sounds they make but we are just beginning to work on putting those sounds together.  She can write the alphabet - a few backwards letters but it's amazing because she just started writing her name mid-school year.  And, she is starting to understand counting - putting 10 crackers out and then moving a few and figuring out how many are left, counting on her fingers to add, etc.  Since we have so much downtown time with Leigh still napping 2 times a day, we have been working on preschool workbooks, and lots of art projects.  This is the summer of stickers - she plays with them ALL day, making projects mostly "for daddy" but she's very focused and if a sticker is removed she will notice. I am so happy we moved on from daily painting in the house to sticker play.  I hope we stay in this stage for a while.  

And, finally Lucy got a new - really, really pink bike that she is very proud of.  We learned that if you don't want your kids to pick out a cheap, princess bike, don't ask them to go with you to Target to look at them. You are definitely coming home with one along with a princess helmet. But, she loves it and said after day 1 "I'm ready to take off training wheels."  She's like me. 


The proud artist

Ms. Sarah - favorite teacher if you can't tell!

Ms. Lauren and Mr. Louie 

Comparison Pics!
Last Day - 3 yr preschool

First Day 3 yr preschool

First Day  2 yr preschool


My favorite pic of the girls yet!  Maybe ever.  I just love this because I didn't pose them for it. 

And there's Leigh.  Every morning during drop off she would run to this rocking chair and hang out - or to the top of the loft.  Although we are only there 10 minutes, I can never find Leigh when we are ready to go. I guess she's ready for school.