Thursday, April 19, 2012

Happy BDAY Aunt Katie..but keep reading for weekend highlights!






First, happy happy bday to Aunt Katie!!!!!!  I think she is turning 29?!  I can't keep track these days because she seems like she has been in her late twenties for 10 years.  Either way, she is still my little sis (and awesome one) and an amazing auntie.  Lucy loves when Aunt Katie comes over and I feel so lucky to have her living so close so we can spend time together.  Between yoga classes, our nights out and our walk-talks which hopefully will resume very soon, we have the best time and whenever Joe knows I need to talk to someone who "understands" he always says "why don't you call Kate."  Happy BDAY Kate!! Enjoy your day!

On other news, Lucy spent the weekend with Nana Chris and Papa Bill - and everyone involved had an amazing weekend.  Thank you Bill and Chris!!! Lucy got to spend some great time with her grandparents and they played, played, played.  They drank some milkshakes, played with her new ball from grandpa, visited with Great Grandma, Aunt Pat, Vince the finance guy and probably other neighbors and a few strangers that Lucy didn't tell me about. She also learned how to say "Champagne" which is very cute.  Joe packed in a Bulls game and the White Sox home opener while I spent my entire Friday on Michigan Avenue just because I could.  I didn't buy anything, in fact I spent most of the time making returns but it was great to be downtown.  And just because I could, I walked there :) We had dinner with friends and I went to a bridal shower out in Barrington on the way to Huntley on Saturday.  It was busy but nice!  And, as you can see, there was lots of smiling going on.




It is unbelievable how quickly Lucy is turning into an independent little girl.  She is really talking a lot these days - putting two words together whenever she can.  She will ask for her "green ball" or tell me "daddy work" to remind me that Joe is at work, etc.  Lucy is also getting really good at recalling things from her memory.  I took her to the Shedd on Tuesday and she hadn't been for a few weeks and when we got there wanted to see the "man" - one of the divers who was swimming with the fish last time. It was amazing she remembered it.  When we got home, I asked her what we did and she would tell me "man swim," "seals," and "orange ball" which the seal or maybe it was a sea lion, swam with.  She remembers that she gets to play with stamps at the gym or specific toys in the play room.  And, she is doing great with counting - she can count to 10 with help and say some of the alphabet, as well as remember verses to Wheels on the Bus and some of her favorite songs.  

She is the busiest little body and now I know what my dad meant when he said "the grass doesn't grow under my feet."  It doesn't grow under Lucy's either. She has to be exploring, running and doing everything herself - on her time.  Sounds a lot like her cousin Caitlin!  They will be trouble together. She isn't interested in the stroller, shopping cart, high chair or anything else that will constrain her and honestly, I have accepted I have a "high spirited" child and am focusing on making sure our days are full of activities for her to run, climb and be busy.  I have officially stopped planning to meet friends for lunch or coffee in hopes that Lucy will want to sit with us, and have accepted that we won't be spending a day together at Oak Brook Mall for a long time :)

Happy Birthday Kate and thanks Bill and Chris for such a wonderful weekend for both Lucy and us!!!  And, congrats dad on Boston and as long as I am at it, congrats to my mom and Kate who both got new jobs this week.  Hope everyone is having a great week!!!